Italy gets a footfall of over 50 million tourists per year. It’s roman architecture, stunning coastline and numerous national parks attract a lot of visitors. Tourism contributes to around 60% of the country’s income. Italy is known to have emerged from the Roman empire, which is one of the greatest European Empire to have existed. If you wish to visit Italy for a short stay or a longer duration, you can apply for an Italian Schengen visa. Italy is a member state of the European Union and hence a member state of Schengen union. There is no need to apply for a separate visa for Italy apart from Schengen visa.
What is Schengen Visa?
Schengen visa is the visa issued to travel to 26 countries that are part of European Union.
As a tourist you will be issued a Type C visa which has a validity of 90 days. This visa can be used for single entry or multiple entry.
Why chose Italian consulate to apply for your Schengen Visa?
- If you are only visiting Italy during your course of travel.
- If you are spending the maximum time of your travel in Italy, then you should apply for your Schengen visa in Italian consulate.
- If your entry and exit point is from Italy, then you should get the visa approved by Italian consulate.
Types of Visa to Italy
There are three major types of visas that are issued :-
- Type C visa :- Also known as Schengen short term visa is issued to tourists for a maximum validity of 90 days. That has both single or multiple entries allowed.
- Type D visa :- Long term visa or the Italian nation visa. Issued to people who are planning to stay for more than 90 days.
- Limited Territorial Validity Visa:- Issued on Humanitarian grounds by citizen’s country diplomatic or consular representative.
Documents required to Apply for Italy Visa from India
Here is a complete list of things required to apply for your italian visa from India. Keep in mind that you don’t have to apply for a separate visa for Italy if you already have a Schengen visa for some other Schengen state. All you would need is reason for stay in Italy and enough balance to fund your stay in the country.
Let’s get started with the list of documents required to apply for Italy Visa from India :-
- Visa Application Form
The visa application form can be downloaded from the website to apply for Italy tourist visa from India. Make sure the form is correctly filled and duly signed. The visa application can also be filled electronically and then take a print out.
- Passport Photograph
One recent passport photograph with whole face capture and a light background. Make sure the photograph comply with the rules listed down.
Know in-depth: Guide To Visa Photo Size Requirements
- Should have been issued within the last 10 years and validity shouldn’t exceed more than 10 years.
- Atleast have a validity of 3 months after intended stay.
- Should contain at least two blank pages.
- Medical Insurance
Medical insurance with a coverage of 30,000 Euros is a must-have for emergency hospital and repatriation expenses. Here is a complete list of companies that are approved by Schengen union for insurance.
- Travel Itinerary
A blank page mentioning all the places you’ll be covering along with the dates. Including return flight tickets.
- Photocopy of Passport
Two sets of photocopy of the Applicant’s passport is required.
- Employment status Proof
- Working → Salary slips of last 3 months, Leave authorization from employer, Form 16, employment contract etc, current bank statement, of latest 6 months.
- Self-Employed → Business License, Income Tax return proof, 6-month company bank statements.
- Student → No objection certificate from school or university, Proof of Enrollment.
- Retired → Pension statement of last 6 months.
- Minor → Birth certificate, Italian visa form signed by both parents, certified copies of ID and passport of both parents.
Suggested read: UK Visa for Indians: Everything you need to know
- Proof of Adequate Finance
To acquire Italy tourist visa from India it’s required to present Form 16, Salary slip of last three months, bank statement copies of last 6 months stamped by Branch Manager or printed on an original letter from Bank, Income Tax Challan, credit card copies.
- Proof of Accomodation
- You need to have hotel confirmation of all the places during your overall stay in the European Union.
- In case your trip is sponsored, an Invitation letter from sponsor along with the sponsor’s picture ID containing signature and validity of documents.
- If you are visiting friends or relatives, Invitation from host is required with a photocopy of his/her passport.
- In case of Booked tour, evidence of pre-paid tour with proof of payment to the tour operator.
Find out more about Proof of accomodations here.
- Cover Letter
A cover letter is required to cover the following details :-
- Purpose of travel to Italy.
- Proof of how you plan to fund your trip.
- In case of sponsor, explain your relationship with the sponsor and why they are funding your trip.
- Overview of your itinerary and the reason why you chose Italian Embassy to apply for your Schengen visa.
- Your intent to return to home country. Show that you have strong reasons to come back owing to family, business and work.
- In case you are not able to submit any of the required documents explain the reason and what other documents have you submitted alternatively.
Italy Visa fees from India
Italy visa fees from India to apply for a Schengen visa is 4810/- INR payable via Demand Draft favouring “VFS GLOBAL SERVICES PRIVATE LIMITED” at the city where visa was applied.
For minor from 6-12 years, the visa cost is 2810/- INR.
In addition to the Italy visa fee, an additional charge of INR 496 is levied as VFS service charge.
A convenience fee of INR 166 is charged if payment is made by cash, credit or debit card.
Visa Fee Waiver
Visa fee is waived off for :
- Kids below 6 years of age.
- Researchers going out for scientific research work.
- Students, graduates and undergraduates taking the journey for educational training and study purpose.
- Representatives under the age of 25 of non-profit organizations who are participating in seminars, sports or cultural events held by some other non-profit organization.
Please note If the visa is denied by Italian consulate under any circumstances, the visa fee remains non-refundable.
When to Apply for Italian Visa
The Earliest you can apply for your Schengen visa application for Italy from India is 90 days before your travel date.
The Latest you can apply for your Schengen visa application for Italy from India is 15 days before your trip start date.
Advisable time to file for your Schengen visa application for Italy from India is three weeks before the start of your trip.
Where to Apply for Italian Visa in India
VFS Global Services is a commercial company that helps in procuring Italy visa for Indian citizens. It works in partnership with Italian Embassy, New Delhi.
The three Italian consulates located in New Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai have been assigned separate states where visa applicants from that particular state can apply.
Embassy of Italy in New Delhi
Only people residing in Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu-Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, and Chandigarh can apply here.
Suggested read: Guide To Switzerland Visa For Indians
Consulate General of Italy in Kolkata
Only people residing in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Orissa, Tripura, Sikkim, and West Bengal can apply here.
Consulate General of Italy in Mumbai
Only people residing in Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Goa, Gujarat, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu can apply here.
Union Territories of Daman, Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Lakshadweep, Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Pondicherry can apply in Mumbai or Kolkata.
Italy visa requirements from India, step by step procedure
- Check if you need a visa
If you wish to travel to Italy, Italy visa is required for Indian citizens. In case you already have a Schengen visa applied you do not need to apply for an Italian visa separately.
- Choose your visa type
Based on your duration of stay, select which visa would you require.
- Application Form
Download the application form online and fill it up with relevant details. Ensure that all information is correct to the best of your knowledge. Do not leave any column blank. If there are columns that do not apply to you, fill them up with NA( No Answer). Print two copies of the form and sign both copies.
Ensure that you have all the documents required for applying for Italy visa from India.
- Schedule your Appointment
The visa process may take a long time hence it’s advised to schedule it 2 months before your travel start date. You can schedule your appointment here.
- Visit the Visa Application Centre
Make sure you arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled time. In case you are late for you appointment, you will be asked to re-book a future appointment.
Applicants can also avail walk-in service for INR 2650/-.
As part of visa procedure, applicants need to provide biometric fingerprint and a digital photograph at the centre.
- Visa Interview
After biometrics, you will be taken to the visa counter where an official would ask you a few questions regarding your trip. Make sure you answer with confidence and the answers match with the information provided in the forms.
Few Basic questions that are asked frequently :
- What is the purpose of your visit?
- Are there are any other Schengen countries that you are planning to visit?
- Who is funding your trip?
- Tell us about your company and job role.
- How long are you planning to stay?
- What is your Educational Qualification?
- Where are you going to stay?
- Are you married? What does your spouse do? How long have you been married.
- Who are you traveling with?
- If traveling solo, why?
- Do you have children?
Learn more about how to prepare for visa interviews here.
- Post Submission
Track your application through SMS, email, calling as well as online application tracking.
- Pick your Visa and Passport
Collect your visa from designated VFS offices at specified time slots. You can also avail Passport at your doorstep service at an extra charge of INR 300/-.
Drop Box Service for Italian Visa Application
The drop box service has been started from 21st January 2019 for Applicants who have already submitted their biometric after 02 November 2015. The drop box service at Blue dart is only for Applicants who are not required to submit biometrics including children below 12 years of age.
Steps to be followed to avail drop box service:
- Applicant must have the visa application form filled and duly signed. All supporting documents, photograph based on specifications and passport duly attached along with the Demand draft for Visa fees and other charges.
- Each Application to be posted in a separate envelope.
- Submit Courier consent form for doorstep passport delivery at your desired address.
- Fill up the Declaration form stating that you understand the entire drop box submission procedure.
- Put all the required documents in a sealed envelope and hand it over to Blue Dart courier executive.
- As a token of receipt, you’ll be handed over an Air Waybill. This bill needs to be shown by the applicant at the time of receiving the processed passport.
Read: A Guide to Business Visa
How to Apply by drop box service?
Call the contact Centre 022-67866004 before going to drop the application. Applications can be submitted between 9 am to 3 pm. Find the list for Visa Application drop box centres here.
What to do if the Visa Application gets revoked?
In case your visa is rejected, you have a right to appeal. The Appeals are conducted against the final decisive Member State in accordance with the national law of the specified EU Member State.
The procedure to appeal. National laws, concerned authorities that can be contacted and the time limit for delivering appeal is mentioned in case the visa is refused by the member state.
How much time does it take to process the visa?
Ideally, applications are processed within 15 days from the date of submission. In some cases if the candidate is asked to produce additional documents, the process might be extended to 30 days.
In special cases, it even goes upto 60 days maximum.