Are you planning for a vacation in Japan, the Land of the Rising Sun? Are you yearning to relish your mind and soul with the natural wonders and the rich cultural heritage of Japan? If the answers are Yes, then you must be seriously concerned about having Japan visa seamlessly with hassle-free methods. The article will provide you with all the details of applying Japan Visa for Indians. You will get comprehensive information about the documents required, filling up the visa application form, Japan visa fee and much more.
Here are the questions we’ll cover:
- What are the types of Japan Visa for Indians?
- What are the different categories of Japan visa for Indians?
- Where are Japan Embassies located in India?
- What documents are required for Japan Visa?
- How to fill the Japan visa application form?
- What to include in the cover letter for visa?
- What are the photo specifications for Japan visa?
- How much does the Japan visa cost?
- Other FAQ
1. What are the types of Japan Visa for Indians?
There are two types of Japan Visa for Indians which you can apply:
- Visa for short stay – This visa allows you to stay for 90 days in Japan. Alternatively, it is known as the Japan tourist visa for vacation or visiting friends and relatives or attending any conferences. For business travel through any firm, you need to apply for a business visa.
- Visa for a long stay – This visa allows you to stay more than 90 days in Japan. You can work and get paid and even stay for educational and training purposes.
2. What are the different categories of Japan Visa for Indians?
You can select from 15 different categories while applying for Japan Visa.
- Temporary Visitor Visa (Sightseeing without Guarantor)
- Temporary Visitor Visa (Sightseeing with Guarantor)
- Market Research/ Conference/ Business Affairs Visa/
- Business Visa with Multiple Entry
- Multiple entry visa up to 30 days (temporary stay) for Indian ordinary passport holder
- Transit Visa
- Medical Stay Visa
- Long Term Stay with Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Family Members of the Indians with Japanese Employment Visa
- Applicant with travel record to Japan in the last three years
- Applicant with sufficient financial capacity
- Spouse or children of the individuals with the required financial capacity
- Multiple Entry Visa for indian National for business or cultural purpose and intellectual figures
- Short stay with the purpose of tourism for Indian students -Single Entry Visa
- Applicant with travel records to Japan and G7 in the last three years
Did You Know: Japan tourist visa can now be applied without a sponsor or a guarantor. The processing period is typically four working days for Japan tourist visa.
3. Where are the VFS centers located for applying Japan Visa for Indians?
Your first action before applying for a Japan tourist visa or a Japan business visa should be to track the VFS centres nearer to your location. In India, the Japan embassy is in
- New Delhi
Suggested Read: Proof of Accommodation for Visa: Explained
4. Which are the documents required for Japan Visa for Indians?
The Japan visa requirements for Indian citizens demand the need for the following documents:
- Your both old and current passports
- Your passport must have a validity of six months from the arrival date in Japan
- There must be at least two blank pages available in your passport
- A xerox or a duplicate copy of the first and last pages of your passport
- Japan visa application form, properly filled up and signed.
- Bank statements for the last three months
- The latest IT return acknowledgement form or statement
- The return flight tickets from Japan back to India. The tickets must be confirmed
- Confirmed hotel booking in Japan
- The cover letter which mentions the details of the travel.
- Your photograph as per the Japan visa requirements for Indian citizens.
- A letter from the sponsor or the guarantor or an invitation letter. The letter must contain the list of the applicants and the details of the company if travelling with Japan business visa.
- If you are working in a company, then you need to produce the certificate of employment or a no-objection certificate or proof of the leave approved.
- If you travelling as a dependant, then you need to submit the consent form from your spouse. You also need to submit the last three months’ bank statement and IT return acknowledgement form of your spouse. The marriage certificate also needs to be submitted as proof of your relationship with your spouse.
- For Indian students travelling to Japan, a consent form from the parents needs to be produced before the embassy or the consulates. Along with the consent form, the last three months bank statements and the income tax certificate of the parents need to be submitted
Tip: The letter from the sponsorer or the invitation letter must be ready before filling up the application form
5. How to fill up the Japan Visa Application Form?
The Japan visa application form can be downloaded here.
You can download, fill-up the form and submit it at the designated Japan VFS centers. The other option is to visit the embassy or the consulates of Japan, fill-up the form at the center and submit.
Tip: The booking for your hotel of the stay must also be refundable and cancellation allowed. It is better to opt for sites which do not charge you during booking.
In the form, you need to mention:
- Your name, address, birth, passport details exactly as mentioned in your passport
- The travel details to be detailed out include the purpose of visit, duration of stay, arrival date, the port of entry, name of the airlines and the details of the hotel or the person with whom you will stay in Japan
- If you are working then you need to mention the details of your employer
- If you are a student or a dependent, then you need to mention the details of your parents or spouse respectively
- The other important section is to fill up the details of the guarantor or the person inviting you to Japan
- The Japan visa application also mandates you to mention your previous visits to Japan
- In the end, there are certain questions related to security and background checks which need to be answered in Yes or No.
Suggested read: What is a Sponsorship Letter for Visa?
After filling up all the sections, you need to duly sign the application form.
Tip: Try to book a flight to Japan which is refundable and can be cancelled. There may be delays in receiving your visa or the visa may get rejected.
6. How to prepare the cover letter required for Japan Visa for Indians?
Preparing the cover letter is an essential part while applying a Japan visa for Indians. The cover letter must contain the following information:
- Purpose of your travel to Japan
- The arrival and departure dates
- Accommodation details
Please Note: If you hold visas of multiple countries, then it is advisable to mention the same in the cover letter. That enables faster processing of your visa application.
7. What are the photo specifications for Japan Tourist visa or Japan Business visa?
As per the Japan visa requirements for Indian citizens, you need to attach a passport size photograph with the following specifications:
- The photograph should not be more than six months old from the date of application
- It should be a coloured one with a white background
- Your face must be properly visible
- You should face directly at the camera
- The size of the photograph should be 2 X 2 inches
Also read: Guide To Visa Photo Size Requirements
Please Note: The specifications must be strictly followed else the embassy or the consulates of Japan will refuse to accept your visa application.
8. How much will you be charged for Japan visa fee?
Japan visa requirements for Indian citizens specify Japan visa fees as INR 440 both for single entry and multiple entries into the country. However, to be eligible for multiple entries, there is a requirement to produce three years IT returns acknowledgment forms at the VFS centers. Generally, this information is not available on the VFS sites. Hence it is advisable to carry all three years IT returns to apply for multiple entries.
1. Do you need an appointment at the VFS centers while applying Japan visa for Indians?
You do not need to have a prior appointment at Japan VFS centers to submit the visa application. You only need to carry your passport, photograph and print outs of all the required documents. After filling up the application and duly signing it, take a print out of the application. You must paste the photograph on the application form before submitting it to the VFS center.
Certain security restrictions need to be followed at the centers. Electronic devices are strictly not allowed inside and mobile phones need to be switched off. Even while collecting your visa stamped passport, the security rules are applicable.
2. How can you track your Japan visa application?
You can easily track your visa application online through VFS. You need to enter the reference number of your visa application and date of birth for tracking the progress. After submitting your visa application online, you will receive a reference number. You must record the number safely as it will be needed till you receive the passport with the visa stamped.
Once the visa is ready, you can either collect the passport directly from the VFS centers or opt for it to be couriered to your residential address. It is advisable and safe to collect the passport in person from the embassy or the consulate.
Tip: If you are booking through a travel agent, you need to ensure that you collect your tickets and hotel details from the agent before filling up the application form.
If you encounter any difficulties in travelling to the designated VFS centers, then you also have the option to courier your Japan visa application form. There are approved Blue Dart centers who have the authority to do the same. In such situations, the processing time extends to two more days. You need to follow all the rules strictly and courier all the required documents exactly as per the Japan visa requirements for Indian citizens.
Further Read: Singapore Visa For Indians: All you need to know
The Japan Visa application form is not lengthy but quite precise and simple. But you need to properly fill up all the details and provide the relevant information. It is recommended to carry the print outs as well as the originals of all the required documents while visiting the VFS centers. Though the visa processing time is less and the process of application is streamlined, but Japan embassy and consulates are very strict with the guidelines mentioned.