The United Kingdom is the prominent country of the European continent, flourishing in both tourism and business. Indians travel to the UK almost every day either for business or for academic purposes and several other professions. All Indians must apply for UK Business Visa while visiting the UK for business purposes. This article will provide you with all the necessary details for applying for a UK Business Visa from India.
- What type of UK Business visa needs to be applied from India?
- Where should you apply for a UK Business Visa?
- How long can you stay in the UK with UK Business Visa?
- What are the fees for UK Business Visa?
- What are the eligibility criteria for the UK Business Visa?
- Which are the mandatory documents required for UK Business Visa?
- What are the specifications of the Photograph required for UK Business Visa?
- How to fill up the online Application form for UK Business Visa?
- UK Startup Visa
- UK Entrepreneur Tier 1 Visa
1. What type of UK Bus`iness visa needs to be applied from India?
Earlier there were multiple visa categories in the UK, which have now been replaced with the Standard Visitor Visa. Hence all Indians applying for UK business visa need to select Standard Visitor Visa while travelling to the UK.
You can apply for a UK business visa from India for the following purposes:
- Attending a business meeting and conferences with a customer on behalf of your company
- Negotiate deals, contract agreement and sign with the customer
- Attending any sports events
- Academic purposes like attending training or seminars, conducting a research work or as a professor travelling with students for an academic program
- Members of any religious organization travelling to attend any religious conferences
- Any musician, dancer, singer or any artist travelling to the UK to perform in any social events to earn money
- A dentist or a doctor visiting the UK for the post of an observer or to undertake a clinical attachment
- To attend the PLAB test, full form of which is Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board
- To appear for OSCE examination, Objective Structured Clinical Examination
Please note: With UK Business Visa, you are not eligible to stay in the UK for long durations, only 6 months per visit.
2. Where should you apply for a UK Business Visa?
Indians need to apply for a UK Business Visa from India at the following authorized offices:
- British High Commission office at New Delhi which is the UK Embassy in India
- British Consulate General at Chennai
- British Consulate General at Mumbai
- British Consulate General at Kolkata
- British Consulate General at Goa
Suggested read: Germany visa for Indians: Complete Guide
3. How long can you stay in the UK with UK Business Visa?
As per the UK business visa requirements, you can by default, stay for 6 months. However, if you want to stay for more than 6 months, then you need to apply for long term Standard Visitor Visa. The Standard Visitor Visa can be applied for either 2 years or 5 years or 10 years. You can visit the UK multiple times, but the UK business visa requirements mandate a cap of 6 months stays for each visit.
4. What are the fees for UK Business Visa?
If you are applying a Standard Visitor visa for 6 months, then the fees are £95. The fees for Long Term Standard Visitor Visa vary on the number of years. It is £361 for two years, £655 for five years and £822 for ten years.
5. What are the eligibility criteria for the UK Business Visa?
You are eligible to apply for a UK Business visa if you have the adequate proof to support your stay in the UK, possess the return ticket or proficient at sponsoring your return and evidence to prove the business purpose of your visit.
If you are travelling for academic purposes then you need to show evidence of your expertise on the niche skill, proof of your sabbatical leave and capable to undertake the research work.
Indians travelling to the UK to receive medical treatment, must possess evidence of their medical condition, sponsorship for treatment and stay in the UK and not suffering from any infectious diseases.
Must Read: Guide To Visa Photo Size Requirements
6. Which are the mandatory documents required for UK Business Visa?
As per the UK Business visa requirements, you need to submit the following documents:
- Your valid, current passport, original as well as photocopies of first and last pages
- Details of previous travels to the UK
- Two passport size photographs with a size of 50 mm by 50 mm.
- Bank statement for the last 6 months
- If you are travelling for your company, the salary slip for the last 3 months must be provided. Alternatively, the proof of earnings in the form of a letter from the company is also accepted. The letter must contain your salary, start date in the company, your role and the contact information of your company.
- If your visit is being sponsored by any third party, then you need to provide evidence of adequate availability of funds to sponsor your trip. The evidence needs to be provided by the third party who can be a business firm, relative or friend. Find out how to write a sponsorship letter here.
- For travel related to academic purposes, you need to provide a letter from your sponsor which should contain details of your enrolment and leave.
- If you are travelling to the UK as a self-employed person then you need to submit registration details of your business
- Indians travelling for attending business meetings and discussions must submit a letter from their employer stating the purpose of the visit and the payment details
- Indians travelling for entertainment purposes, also need to submit a letter from the inviting organization mentioning the details of the performance. It should also mention whether the person is an amateur or a professional artist.
- If you are below the age of 18 then you need to submit your birth certificate. In case you are travelling alone or with a person other than your parents or guardian then you need to submit additional documents. The passport of any official documents of your parents or guardian needs to be submitted along with a letter duly signed by them. The letter must contain the details of the person travelling with you and the accommodation details in the UK.
7. What are the specifications of the Photograph required for UK Business Visa?
UK business visa requirements mandate the specifications of the photograph to be followed strictly. The visa application centers have vending machines at their premises. The machines are coin-operated, from which you can obtain the accurate photograph specifications required for a UK business visa.
The specifications are mentioned below:
- The size of the photograph should be 50 mm X 50 mm
- The photograph should be coloured
- The background should not have any patterns, only light coloured plain background is acceptable
- The photograph should cover the entire face with the eyes facing straight at the camera
- No headgear or covering is allowed unless used for religious beliefs
- The facial expression must be normal
Please note: Failure to meet any of the above specifications of the photograph may lead to rejection during submission at the UK visa centers. It is advisable to follow the rules to prevent delays in UK business visa processing.
8. How to fill up the online Application form for UK Business Visa?
UK Business Visa from India needs to be applied online
The sections that need to be filled up are:
- Personal details like name, date of birth, place of birth, marital status, religion, citizenship, nationality, etc.
- Passport details
- Your contact details like address, phone number, and email address
- Details of your family
- Previous visits to the UK and other countries
- Professional details which include your occupation and details of your employment
After filling up the form, it must be signed electronically submitted. An appointment needs to be scheduled at the designated visa application centers. You need to undergo the biometric test and submit the requisite documents at the centers.
Also read: A quick guide to your Austria Visa
Please note: Each section of the application form must be filled up completely and correctly. Failure to do so may lead to visa rejection.
9. UK Startup Visa
The UK startup visa can be applied by Indians of you are willing to start a business in the UK. You must be able to present a new and innovative business idea. The idea must be endorsed by any higher educational institution in the UK or a UK business organization supporting entrepreneurs. You can stay for a maximum of two years with the UK start-up visa which cannot be extended beyond. It can, however, be transformed into the UK Entrepreneur Tier 1 Visa.
Please note: You can bring in your family members when you have UK startup visa, but you cannot settle in the UK.
10. UK Entrepreneur Tier 1 Visa
UK Entrepreneur Tier 1 visa permits settlement in the UK. You can also extend your visa and bring in your family members. However, you can no longer apply for a new UK Entrepreneur Tier 1 visa. Only those already possessing the Tier 1 visa are eligible for an extension.
11. When can you apply for an extension of a UK Business Visa?
If your UK Business visa expiry is for a period of fewer than 6 months, then you can apply for an extension. But the extension can only be applied till the date which covers your total stay duration in the UK as 6 months. However, if you are receiving medical treatment in the UK, then you can extend your UK business visa beyond 6 months. The extension is subject to evidence submitted on your continuing treatment endorsed by a doctor or NHS consultant. You must apply for an extension before your visa expires.
The guidelines for a UK Business visa should be adhered strictly for smooth visa processing avoiding unnecessary delays and rejection.
Further Read: Greece visa for Indians – All you need to know