Proof of Accommodation for Visa is one of the essential requirements for applying visa, requested by the consulates and embassies of different countries. This particular visa requirements for Indian citizens is more importantly, necessary while travelling to Europe.
You must be wondering why the immigration authorities demand proof of accommodation for a visa? How to comply with all the requirements for a hassle-free visa? What is the proof of accommodation documents required for a visa? The article will provide you with clear guidance on what arrangements and documents you need to do for proof of accommodation for a visa.
- Important Documents required as Proof of Accommodation for Visa
- Hotel reservations as proof of accommodation
- Invitation letter from host
- Confirmation from Tour Operator
- An Agreement or Contract for Rent as Proof of Accommodation for Visa
- Evidence of Financial Support as Proof of Accommodation for Visa
- Specific Mandate for Schengen Visa application as Proof of Accommodation for Visa
Must Read: Guide To Visa Photo Size Requirements
1. Important Documents required as Proof of Accommodation for Visa
You can produce either of the documents as proof of accommodation for visa application:
- Confirmation letter from the hotel where you are planning to stay or can be a letter of accommodation OR
- A certificate of accommodation OR
- A proof of accommodation
The basic reason for verifying the proof of accommodation for visa application is to be certain that the person has a place to stay or sleep in the visiting country.
The verification is performed by the Visa consulates or embassies through the following letters or proofs or certificates:
- Hotel reservations where you will be staying during the tenure of the visit
- An invitation letter from a host on the proof of accommodation example if you are staying with a family or a friend
- A confirmation letter from a tour operator (if you are travelling through a packaged tour) with the payment details
- An agreement or a contract if planning to stay in rent during the visit
There are few exceptions though depending on the immigration requirements of certain countries. They may only demand a proof to substantiate that you have sufficient money to sustain the tour. In such cases, the documents required for a visa can be a bank statement or a salary proof or an employment letter for example.
Suggested Read: Visa Interview – Questions, Answers, Tips
2. Hotel Reservations as a Proof of Accommodation for Visa
While visiting a country, if you are planning to stay in a hotel then the confirmation letter from the hotel is a proof of accommodation for visa application. Normally after you reserve a room in a hotel, the authorities issue a letter to confirm your stay.
The following information should be provided in the letter:
- Your full name
- The address of the hotel
- The contact email or phone numbers of the hotel
- The arrival and departure dates
- The reservation code
You can also book a hotel without any payment, referred to as dummy hotel booking for a visa. If such an option is not available then it is advisable to either book a hotel where the payment is refundable or a very low priced hotel. There may be delays in visa approval or sometimes visa gets rejected. Hence it is advisable to keep the hotel expenses at a minimum.
Follow Visa reservation for guidance on hotel reservations without payment.
Guide: How to apply for Visa?
3. Invitation Letter from Host as a Proof of Accommodation for Visa
Many times, Indians visiting foreign countries either stay with their family members or friends. If you are also planning to do the same, then you have to submit an invitation letter by the host.
The proof of accommodation template for the above case has certain prerequisites that need to be complied with. The letter should contain your details, details of your host and supporting documents required for visa.
Your details include
- Full name as per your passport
- Your date of birth
- Residential address and contact details
- Your relation with the family member or friend you are staying with
- The arrival and departure dates
- The purpose behind the trip
The host details include
- Full name of the friend or family member
- The date of birth of the person
- The residential address and contact details of the person
- The citizenship status or the visa details of the person
- The occupation of the person
- Type of residence of the person, for example, rent or own
- Signature of the host
The supporting documents include (anyone among the list)
- A scanned copy of any id proof of the family member or friend can be the passport
- A proof of residence, owned or rented
- Financial proof that your stay will be sponsored by the host
- A tentative itinerary of the places you are planning to visit with the host
The family member or the friend can apply for a “certificate of accommodation” to the local authorities and submit the same as a proof of accommodation for visa application.
4. Confirmation from Tour Operator as a Proof of Accommodation for Visa
Indians travelling abroad for a holiday or vacation, often book package tours or customized tours with professional tour operators or established travel agents. As proof of accommodation for visa requirements for Indian citizens, you can also submit a confirmation letter from the tour operator.
As per the proof of accommodation template, the letter must contain the following information:
- The list of places to visit
- The address of each place of a visit
- The contact details, maybe email or phone numbers
- Arrival and departure dates at each of the places of visit
- The name in each reservation
5. An Agreement or Contract for Rent as Proof of Accommodation for Visa
If you prefer to rent an apartment or house while visiting a country abroad, then the visa requirements for Indian citizens demand the submission of a contract or an agreement. You can make arrangements for the place of stay and sign the agreement or contract online. Once done it can be submitted as proof of accommodation for visa application to the embassy or consulate at the time of the visa interview.
The proof of accommodation template specifies the following requirements to be mentioned in the contract:
- The full name of the landlord
- Address of the landlord
- Contact details
- Address of the rented apartment or house
- The duration of stay, including the arrival and departure dates
6. Evidence of Financial Support as Proof of Accommodation for Visa
Evidence of financial support also known as means of subsistence is required to be submitted before the consulate or embassy mandated for visa requirements for Indian citizens. This is to ensure that you have in your possession adequate funds to sustain your trip through the entire duration.
Each country has a specified sum of money each day, necessary to be available with the visitor for expenses. If you are planning to stay in a hotel, the sum of money in possession, for obvious reasons, need to be comparatively more than while staying with a family or a friend.
- In Denmark, the Indian visitor must possess an amount of EURO 67.24 per day to stay in a hotel. If the person is opting to stay in a hostel or further cheaper accommodation, the amount further reduces to EURO 47.07 per day.
- In France, the amount of money is EURO 120 per day for a stay in a hotel if there is no prepayment done and EURO 65 per day in case of prepayment. The amount further reduces to EURO 32.35 per day in case the person opts for a cheaper means of accommodation.
- In Belgium, the visitor is required to have in his or her possession an amount of EURO 95 per day for staying in a hotel. For cheaper means of accommodation, the requirement is EURO 45 per day.
7. Specific Mandate for Schengen Visa application as Proof of Accommodation for Visa
Certain rules must be strictly followed for the Schengen Visa requirements for Indian citizens while submitting the invitation letter from a host (family member or friend). The rules state that:
- In Netherlands, the host needs to submit the “Bewijs van Garantstelling”, the Proof of Sponsorship document. The other documents that need to be submitted are the salary slips of the person and the work contract.
- When In France and Luxembourg, the person needs to submit “Declaration d’Accueil”, the Guarantee document.
- In Belgium, the document that needs to be submitted is as a Proof of Sponsorship is “Engagement de Prise en Charge – Verbintenis tot Tenlasteneming 3 bis”.
- And, In Austria, the host needs to submit “Elektronische Verpflichtungserklärung”, the declaration of Commitment to the designated authorities.
Tip: A Community Code on Visas has been established by the European Parliament, the details of which is available here.
Even if you are planning to attend seminars or conferences or training sessions, with the expenses being incurred by the organizer, you need to submit the proof of accommodation for the visa. A letter must be provided by the organizer or sponsor, duly signed and attested. It must contain the address, contact details of the place of stay and the person bearing the expenses.
Further Read: How to get your Schengen visa from India?