Singapore, a land with ample opportunities for entertainment and professional upliftment, had been attracting many Indians for years. A small country packed with unlimited fun and tremendous potential for employment is a preferred choice for many Indians. Singapore’s economy has been flourishing year on year offering multiple options in marine, entertainment sector, construction services, housekeeping work and so on. The desire of being employed in the country can be fulfilled easily with a Singapore work visa. The article will guide you through the entire process of applying for a Singapore work visa.
What are the different types of Singapore Work Visa?
Various types of work visas are granted to Indians as per the regulations set forward by the Manpower Ministry in Singapore. It is mandatory for Indians, willing to work in Singapore, to obtain a Singapore work visa. The Singapore work visa for Indians can be differentiated as follows:
1. Employment Pass Scheme
The scheme is the key work permit in Singapore provided to Indians who are skilled in a particular niche area. The salary per month for the applicant must exceed SGD 3600. Generally, the managers or the executives in a company are granted this particular work permit. The validity of the Employment Pass Scheme is usually 1 to 2 years but it depends entirely on the discretion of the Singapore embassy. This work permit Singapore can be extended with the condition that the applicant is employed in the company. The visa holders can also apply for a Permanent Residence permit in due course of time.
Know more: A Guide to Business Visas
2. Entrepreneur Pass Scheme
The scheme is also called EntrePass Scheme. It is usually granted to Indians who are owners of a new company in Singapore or about to start a new company in Singapore. The validity of the Entrepreneur Pass Scheme is for 1 year and can be extended provided the business is ongoing during the tenure. The visa holders can also apply for a Permanent Residence permit subsequently.
Did you know? As per the Singapore work visa requirements, Work Permit Online is the only portal where you can apply for a work permit, cancel the permit, renew the permit and also opt for replacement of the permit card.
3. Personalized Employment Scheme
The scheme is also known by the name PEP scheme in a short form. It has special benefits of switching jobs between different companies provided the applicant is not unemployed for more than 6 consecutive months. The applicant can not start a new business in Singapore with this particular work permit Singapore. The scheme is valid for 3 years and cannot be renewed. Yet the visa holders can apply for a Permanent Residence permit in the future.
4. S Pass Scheme Singapore
S pass scheme Singapore is granted to Indians who are mid-level skilled in their area. The salary per month of the applicant must be SGD 2,200. The applicants must possess mandatorily a degree certificate or a diploma certificate or a technical qualification certificate. The validity of S Pass Scheme Singapore is for 1 to 2 years solely depending on the discretion of the Singapore embassy authorities. It can be renewed provided the applicant is employed during the tenure. The visa holders can apply for Permanent Residence in Singapore.
5. Miscellaneous Work Pass Scheme
The scheme is granted to Indians who would be working in Singapore for short term engagements. It is generally opted by applicants conducting seminars or conferences or workshops for religious or political purposes. Journalists or Reporters can also apply for Miscellaneous work pass provided they are not being sponsored by any agency of the Singapore Government. The visa holders are not eligible to apply for Permanent Residence in Singapore.
Tip: If you are willing to stay in Singapore permanently then you must check for your eligibility before the work permit expiry date. Once eligible, apply for the Permanent Residentship within the tenure of stay so that you have sufficient time for submitting the required documents.
6. Work Permit Singapore for semi-skilled professionals
Work permit Singapore for semi-skilled professional Indians are of 3 types:
- Work permit Singapore for Foreign workers – granted to Indians employed in the marine, dockyard, construction, process, manufacturing or services industrial sector
- Work permit Singapore for Foreign Domestic workers – granted to Indians who work in Singapore. The applicant must be a foreign domestic worker
- Work permit Singapore for performing artists – granted to Indians working in entertainment sectors like a hotel or a restaurant or a pub.
Recommended read: How to write a convincing Invitation letter for visa
7. Training Visas for Singapore
The training visas for Singapore are of 3 types:
- Training Work Permit Singapore – Indians who are students or undergoing training in Singapore can apply for the permit. It is valid for 6 months
- Training Employment Pass – Indians undergoing training and earning monthly USD 3000 are eligible to apply for the pass
- Work Holiday Pass or Program – Indians who are students between age groups of 18 years to 25 years are eligible to apply for the program. They can work and also spend a vacation in the country for six months
What are the eligibility criteria for Singapore Work Visa?
As per the guidelines of the Singapore work visa for Indians, certain requirements need to be fulfilled by the applicants. The following requirements listed below define the eligibility to work in Singapore:
- The age limit of Indians to apply for work permit Singapore is a minimum of 18 years and a maximum of 50 years
- The applicant must possess a valid passport
- The applicant is eligible to work as per the criteria defined against the work permit granted by the Singapore Embassy authorities
Facts to remember:
- Applicants with a work permit Singapore are not allowed to marry a Singapore citizen or any permanent resident of Singapore. If they desire to do so then they would need the official approval or consent from the Manpower ministry of Singapore
- Applicants must reside at the address specified during the visa application
- Applicants are not permitted to be engaged in any other business in Singapore other than the specified employment or business in the work permit.
Suggested read: Macau Visa for Indians | Visa on arrival
What is the process of applying for a Singapore Work Visa?
Singapore work visa requirements state that the visa application has to be submitted online.
The hiring firm applies for the work permit through the Singapore Work Permit Online using their CorpPass account.
The steps to be followed are:
- The Indian professional or worker provides written consent to the Singapore firm for applying for a work permit
- The firm logs into the Work Permit Online portal
- The work permit application form needs to be filled up with the correct information
- A fee of USD 30 needs to be paid through Visa or Mastercard or Netbanking or via GIRO
- The application is then submitted and the reference number needs to be noted to check the status later.
- The applicant must visit the Embassy of Singapore for biometric and photo
- Once the Embassy approves the work permit, the permit needs to be collected for entry into Singapore
Tip: The status of the work permit can be checked on the next working day of applying for the visa.
The hiring company needs to complete two formalities before the Indian professional or worker arrives in Singapore. They are:
- A security bond amounting to SGD 5000
- An insurance document for the professional or worker amounting to SGD 15,000
The company also has the obligation to provide the following benefits to the employee:
- The agreed salary
- The cost of flight tickets
- The expenses of housing and other recreations as applicable
Once the Indian professional or worker arrives in Singapore, medical registration and visa registration must be completed as the additional formalities. The visa will be granted for a maximum duration of two years. This confirms the eligibility to work in Singapore.
Did you know? You must always carry the work permit Singapore with you while travelling to any place within the country. Authorized officers may seek the permit anytime and anywhere within Singapore.
What are the fees for Singapore Work Visa?
Singapore work visa fees are essentially charged at USD 175 to 105 maximum as per the revised rates published on 1st April 2019. The payment needs to be done in parts, half while submitting the application and the remaining after the work permit Singapore is issued by the Embassy authorities.
The details on the Singapore work visa fees are mentioned below:
- A charge of USD 105 has to be paid for Employment Pass Scheme, Personalized Employment Scheme, Entrepreneur Pass Scheme and Training Employment Scheme. For renewal, the charge is much higher at about USD 225.
- The charges for Miscellaneous Work Pass is the highest USD 175 and there are no renewal fees since this work permit is exempted from renewal
- Charges for S Pass Singapore and Work Permit for Performing artists are the same, being USD 35. The fees are the same for renewal as well.
- Work permit for foreign workers requires a charge of USD 35 and same for renewal
- Work holiday pass is free and exempted from any charges. If you wish to renew then a charge of USD 175 is levied.
Did you know? The Singapore work visa fees can be paid via GIRO only before the approval of the work permit. The options that are available for paying the Singapore work visa fees after the approval are only eNets Debit or Credit.
What are the documents required for Singapore Work Visa?
The documents that need to be submitted while applying for Singapore work visa are:
- Passport with a validity of 6 months from the date of visa application submission
- Filled up Singapore visa application form
- The offer letter from the hiring company
- Two recent photographs as per the specifications (mentioned below)
- Educational certificates like mark sheets, pass certificates from schools and universities
- Security bond document from the hiring company
- Health and Travel insurance document from the hiring company
Did you know? If you are seeking for work permit Singapore, then you are not allowed to apply for the same. It is only the company where you have been hired, is eligible to apply for the permit on your behalf. Therefore the first criteria to get a work permit Singapore is applying for a job and get hired.
Must read: What is a Sponsorship Letter for Visa?
What are the photograph specifications required for Singapore Work Visa?
Singapore work visa requirements mandates the following specifications to be followed while submitting the photographs along with the visa application form:
- The size of the photograph should be 45 mm X 35 mm
- The photo must be clicked against a white or light coloured background. There must not be shadows or any visible patterns in the background
- The face should be directly looking at the camera and must not be tilted at any side.
- The face must cover 80% of the photo area
- You must not wear any hats or caps or scarves or sunglasses. Only headgears for religious purposes are permitted
- The photograph must be matt finished and not glossy
- The neck, shoulder and the ears must be distinctly visible
- There must not be any border in the photograph
Please note: You must adhere to the photograph specifications to avoid visa rejections or delays.
What is the processing time for Singapore Work Visa?
The Singapore e visa processing time generally varies from 1 to 7 working days. The work visas for students and trainees may take a little much longer time up to 5 weeks. The processing time varies if the visa application is submitted manually. It can take a long time up to 6 weeks for the decision.
Tip: It is advisable to submit the Singapore work visa application online as the Singapore e visa processing time is faster than applying manually.
Which are the authorized centers for applying for Singapore Work Visa?
The embassies and consulates for Singapore are :
- Singapore Embassy or High Commission in New Delhi
- Singapore Consulate in Mumbai
- Singapore Consulate in Chennai
Please note: The Embassy and the Consulates are closed on official holidays, Saturdays and Sundays
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I get a Singapore work visa?
You can get a Singapore work visa if you are being employed or hired in a Singapore based company. The hiring company will apply for your work permit as per the eligibility criteria in the Work Permit Online portal. The visa fees also need to be submitted via the portal. Once approved you are provided the Singapore work visa and entry into the country. After arrival in the country, your visa will be registered.
2. How much is a work visa in Singapore?
The work visa fees in Singapore varies from 175 USD to 35 USD. Employment Pass Scheme, Personalized Employment Scheme, Entrepreneur Pass Scheme and Training Employment Scheme charges are 105 USD. The charges for the Miscellaneous Work Pass is 175 USD. Charges for S Pass Singapore and Work Permit for Performing artists 35 USD. Work permit for foreign workers requires a charge of 35 USD. Work holiday pass is free and exempted from any charges.
3. How long does Singapore work visa take?
Singapore work visa processing time varies from 1 to 7 working days from the date of submission. Applications submitted manually takes a long time of up to 6 weeks.
4. What is the minimum salary for a work permit in Singapore?
The minimum salary for a work permit in Singapore is SGD 2,200 per month for mid-level skilled workers and SGD 3,600 per month for highly skilled professionals
5. Is it easy to get a work visa in Singapore?
The process of applying for a work visa in Singapore is not very tough if you follow all the relevant guidelines. It is not easier than obtaining a Singapore tourist visa. Singapore work visa requires verification of additional documentation to grant entry into the country.
Further Read: Essentials to obtaining Hong Kong Visa for Indians